QLD's Gateway Toll & Interstate Visitors

Submitted: Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 09:58
ThreadID: 71748 Views:5679 Replies:11 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I'm starting to plan our trip over to QLD for the EO Gathering. We will have to go up to the Sunshine Coast first for a few days and my route out of NSW takes me up to the Gateway Motorway.

I see that the cash booths have been closed.

Looking on the net it appears that I will have my rego plate photographed and will be expected to pay within 48 hours over the phone.

Two years ago I went through the Westgate Bridge toll in Melbourne and have yet to be asked to pay. The cost of a mobile phone call to pay the Toll is likely to be more than the Toll itself.

Have interstate visitors been nabbed avoiding the Toll ?

Toll roads are something strange to West Aussies. We don't have any at all over here so all this is a bit of a mystery. Paying to use a road? What are our taxes for?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Toadkeeper Jo aka Qlder Jo - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:15

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:15
Hey GB... as one of the toll collectors that got booted out my advice is stuff em! don't pay a bloody cent and when they chase you down for it, tell them it is your right as an aussie to drive on the roads in your own country for free!
But you might get into trouble....
If you have an interstate toll tag that will work for you. All toll tags can be used aus wide.
Yes you have the option to go through the toll, they will snap a pic of your plate and you will have 3 days to contact them to pay. Leave it past 3 days and you will incur admin fees. Leave it over thirty days and expect a $120 odd dollar fine.
Your other option is to prepay your tolls. Check out the link below. Any other questions give me an email.

https://www.govia.com.au/via/home/

AnswerID: 380248

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:16

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:16
Steve,

I used the Gateway when I picked up the Trak Shak over a month ago and I had left my E Tag at home :(

I am yet to have a notice sent to me saying I had used the Gateway Motorway, twice within an hour LOL

I tried to pay it online by using my non Gateway motorway E Tag and couldn't make heads or Tails of their system, so decided to wait for the notice to turn up in the mail.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 380249

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:12

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:12
Probably because both vehicles are on the same account??
The system will check the rego's and if you have no Etag in the vehicle at the time it will just charge you a small additional fee for using the tollway in the vehicle without the Etag.

Thats what happens on Citylink here in Melbourne.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 647554

Follow Up By: Ray - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:57

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:57
Being a West Australian and being twenty years behind the times I know nothing about toll roads. Are these roads privately owned?
We had a case her some time ago where a privately owned parking facility conned one of the public servants in giving them a list of all the vehicles in W.A. so that they could issue "Infringement notices" to over stayers and non payers. It turned out that this private company could not issue infringement notices and that the only way they could recover their money was by taking civil action which is very expensive
FollowupID: 647564

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 13:11

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 13:11
Hi Ray
Simply speaking.
Yep private roads operated by private companies built on land owned by the Crown.
And no funding from the tax payer for the construction, maintenance and ongoing operation in almost all instances.

In Melb they will revert to government ownership after about 35 years as part of the land lease arrangements.

They are built by this method because our state system is such a debacle that the states cannot fund much needed arterial road infrastructure for the tax payer.

Its all legislated and if you use the road without paying a fine is issued which includes the applicable avoided toll and admin fee which goes to the road operator and the state gets the rest of the fine.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 647565

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:21

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:21
GB,
Do you want to talk about what's fair or toll payments, LOL

We have paid enough road tax in Australia over the years for good roads almost everywhere, but little of that money ends up on road.

Now back to your concern, I'm in no way suggesting you "cheat" the system and I can in no way suggest what I am saying will be the case, however, the M7 mtrway in Sydney was always cashless and I am lead to believe that, except in extreme cases of multiple toll evasion, no one has been chased for occasional one off events. I also believe the same to be true of the M2 and Harbour Bridge etc.

This MAY be the case in Qld too, for to chase a "one off" would cost many times more than the missed toll in the first place, also a perfect identification would be critical for a conviction to apply.

JMHO, Colin.
AnswerID: 380250

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:48

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 10:48
Hell! They must be discriminating against me.

We have two cars, only one ETag.

Invariably we have occasions where it happens to be in the wrong car at the wrong time.

M2, M4 and M7 Motorways, not as yet the Harbour Bridge.

I can assure all that we have been chased on every occasion. Have not incured any fines or extra charges, just had to fill in Eway Account/Tag number and fax back. That has een the end of the matter.

These events might have been no more than two per year.

Ian
FollowupID: 647544

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:09

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:09
Ditto Ian's comment...
FollowupID: 647570

Follow Up By: Toadkeeper Jo aka Qlder Jo - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 17:24

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 17:24
Nope.. not the case in Qld Colin.
With the new system in place they will chase you up. Queensland Motorways are now linked up computer wise with Department of transport.
FollowupID: 647601

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:16

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:16
I just went to their web site.... man... that has to be the worst web site I have ever been on. It's difficult to find what you need... and even worse to read. No wonder people give up on it.

I eventually found that you can go to one of their centres (address supplied) to pay.... or you can go to one of their retailers.... WHAT RETAILERS & WHERE... they are not listed. At least as a visitor to Victoria, I can go to any post office to pay.

The message I get from all this is.... don't bother to visit Brisbane or surrounds; give Brisvegas a miss!
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 380253

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:39

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:39
Mate, it's not that hard to get through Bris without going on the toll road.

Just go straight up the highway to Bris, then take the Inner City Bypass (ICB) which brings you back onto Kingsford Smith Drive. Follow that out till you get to the Gateway then turn North.

If you have Oziexplorer I can send you a track..
AnswerID: 380254

Reply By: brushmarx - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:00

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:00
There's no need to panic.
You can take alternate routes that bypass the tolls, and go through the guts of the metropolis.
It will probably take you longer, unless it's around peak hour, then one little prang and the toll road becomes a carpark.
We used the Gateway toll road yesterday, and far southern to northern suburbs took less than 45 minutes, but the return trip took 95 minutes. Some idiots have three lanes merging to one lane going south, which doesn't help congestion.
Toll free can be done, but unless you pick the wrong time, it's probably worth using the toll bridge.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 380256

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:08

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:08
GB there has been no tolls on the Westgate Bridge for 15 to 20 odd years.

Citylink is another matter and they will fine you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 380257

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:18

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:18
It must have been the CityLink then. Haven't heard anything so we must have slipped through the net.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 647555

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:14

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:14
We avoid them. Recently we had to go through Sydney to Newcastle. We took the normal Cumberland Highway through Fairfield area and up past Parra to Hornsby. A non toll wayThere was a prang on the M2 (I think that is the one). According to the radio it was taking cars up to an hour to get off at the "Hornsby" end. Thats right. A prang near the end of the motorway and everyone on the prang side stopped dead and on the other side they all slowed down to look.

Nah I hate them. You don't see anything and all you do is blindly rush along like a mob of lemmings. Give me the old roads anytime. Who cares how long it takes. At least you can pull over and do a bit of sight seeing/shopping or have a cuppa or answer the phone. Much safer.

Boy I hate the city rush. You can feel it (nay - almost taste it) as soon as you get near a big city. And we used to live there!!!!

Still I must agree that the big motorways do have a purpose and they do move a lot of traffic (when they wok). And someone has to pay. Bring on the tolls. Why should I from the ACT pay for these roads in other states. Nope not me.

My two bobs worth

Phil (fired me up on this topic hey!!!) Ah what the heck. Its all fun.
AnswerID: 380258

Follow Up By: The Landy - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:13

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:13
" Why should I from the ACT pay for these roads in other states. Nope not me"

vk1...

Like your thinking. We'll send you a bill for all the politicians you've got in Canberra!

Wink...The Landy
FollowupID: 647571

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:20

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:20
Aren't they only here for a short time. That's why it gets so cold in the winter.

Not enough hot air emanating from that monstrocity to keep us warm when they are home with you lot. Thoughtless lot aren't they!!! Maybe they can be here in the winter and back with you lot other times. Now that would be thoughtful wouldn't it. Thoughtfull - I didn't think they thought like that. Buggar!

And we will send a bill back for the wasted accommodation here as well. Oops hang on they get paid an allowance to live in the flats and units they own here already. Can't double dip now can we.

Dunno how to bill that so - its on us. Okay!!! See how nice we are.

Smiling all they way.

Phil

FollowupID: 647575

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:21

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:21
I haven't worked out what day of the week we will be there yet.

If it's a weekend I might look at going thru the city.

If not I may become an outlaw, on the run.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 380261

Follow Up By: age - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 13:17

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 13:17
Hey Gone Bush

If you choose to come through the Gateway on a weekday, be aware that it is a nightmare most days from 5:00-9:00am and 3:00-7:00pm, so time your run.

The method suggested above of using the ICB and then the Gateway after the bridge is probably the best bet.

Will be interesting to see how the tolled rabbit warren they are building now will work

Cheers

A
FollowupID: 647567

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 13:56

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 13:56
Hi Gone Bush,

If you use the Gateway without an E-Tag and fail to contact them to pay within 3 days you WILL get a request-for-payment with additional fees. Had it happen recently to a relative. And if you ignore that request, following ones have increasing fees!

Suggest that the easiest way (apart from avoiding the route) is to phone them on 1300 559940 within 3 days of passing the toll point and select "option two" to pay by credit card. You then have the option of returning within 30 days and having the return fee paid automatically.

I know its a pain, but this is the cost of living in a "modern technological" society.

Anyway, it will be worth the effort to spend a few days here on the Sunshine Coast!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 380271

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:16

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:16
I agree Allan, we love the area.

We are picking up a new van before heading out to St George but we intend to go straight to Cooloola Beach after that and park up for a few days.

A friend just did that and sent me some photos. Looks outstanding.

Can't wait.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 647572

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 15:56

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 15:56
I've just been looking at a street map of the Inner City Bypass, Kelvin Grove Rd and Hale St.

What a dog's breakfast !!

Is it easier to negotiate than it looks??

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 380291

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 16:20

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 16:20
Yeah, it can't be too bad.
My wife made it through, so it must be well signed.
Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 647594

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 17:27

Monday, Aug 24, 2009 at 17:27
Piece of cake..

As you're crossing the Captain Cook bridge, get in the 3rd lane (from the left) and stay there. That lane will take you onto the Hale St off ramp. When on Hale St, get in the right lane and stay there. That will take you all the way onto Kingsford Smith Drive. Ignore Kelvin Grove Rd, you don't go on that. Follow Kingsford Smith Drive till you get to the Gateway and turn left. Look for the airport signs. Done.

FollowupID: 647603

Sponsored Links